About Me

Wednesday, March 8, 2017

reflecting on my history as an artist

I used to think that to be an artist, you had to draw everything as an accurate recreation of the real world. I would avoid hands because they were hard and I couldn't render them realistically. I ended up drawing the same girl from a ¾ angle with her arms awkwardly behind her back again and again. 

                when I got over that, I thought that to grow as an artist, you had to be able to draw anything and everything. I detested using color so I forced myself to use markers every day until they became an integral part of my art supplies.
                But now I draw grotesque figures that are purposefully distorted from the natural form and I will never draw a landscape.

and sometimes i post on a blog too

and i guess that is also art 

I guess it took

taking formal classes

 for me to unlearn everything i knew

1 comment: